Monday, August 23, 2010

Grocery Challenge

The Happy Housewife just posted a Grocery Challenge that I think is achievable for anyone. The challenge is to simply cut 10% off your grocery budget for the month. I think she has been participating in one for August, but I think I will begin with the month of September. I also have one fixed budget for all grocery/household purchases, so I will be including all of that.

If you don't have a budget, just look over some old receipts or bank statements to get an average of what you spend per week at the grocery/supercenter, and set that as your target budget per week, then reduce it by 10%. This shouldn't be too challenging. If you don't use coupons, you can purchase one this coming Sunday, and each following Sunday to get you started. I just got my new All You magazine in the mail yesterday, and it has some excellent grocery coupons as well. Don't forget the coupon links in my sidebar for printables. Make a menu plan, including snacks, for the week. Make a list before you go, and stick to it. I think many people new to the game will be shocked to find that it is easy to save well over 10% of their normal budgets.

Be sure to post weekly and let me know how you are doing!

No comments: