Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Review: William F Buckley by Jeremy Lott

When I first signed up for Booksneeze, this book struck my interest. This is the latest edition of the Christian Encounters Series. I hadn't heard of this series previously, though there are several other very interesting people covered.

The main reason I wanted to read and review this book was that while I had heard the name William F Buckley previously, I had no idea who he was or how he had contributed to our society. It was an honor to read about the positive influences he had on the progress of our country during his lifetime, but a disappointment to see how his theories and beliefs are being misrepresented to advance other people's agenda's in his death.

This was a fairly short book at about 140 pages, and I was able to read it in a single afternoon. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in William F Buckley's life, whether for personal pleasure or perhaps a book report. I did receive a free copy of this book for review purposes only, though all opinions expressed are 100% mine, and I will be keeping it in our home library and encouraging my boys to read it and do book reports on it as they progress through school. The only thing I felt was missing was more focus on the religious beliefs of William F Buckley, seeing as this book is part of a Christian Encounters Series. I will also be looking into getting other books in this series for our own home library. William F. Buckley (Christian Encounters Series) is available today at Amazon for $8.64, though it currently states only 1 copy is available, but more have been ordered.

This is a brief description of the book from the publisher:
Christian Encounters, a series of biographies from Thomas Nelson Publishers, highlights important lives from all ages and areas of the Church. Some are familiar faces. Others are unexpected guests. But all, through their relationships, struggles, prayers, and desires, uniquely illuminate our shared experience.
William F. Buckley Jr. was the popular host of one of television’s longest-running programs, “Firing Line,” and the author of more than 50 books, but his greatest achievement was making conservatism—not just electoral Republicanism but conservatism as a system of ideas—respectable in liberal post-World War II America.
Buckley started National Review magazine in 1955 and quickly became known as the standard-bearer of conservatism, promoting the fusion of traditional conservatives and libertarians. He inspired and incited three generations of conservatives—and counting—uniting anti-Communists, traditionalists, constitutionalists, and enthusiasts for free markets under one tent.

20 comments:

Wendy said...

Stopping by from the Monday Hop!

Cheeky Momma said...

This looks and sounds delicious! I'm going to love following your blog! I found you though the blog hop at 'Frugality is Free!'

I also have a blog:
Being Frugal & Making It Work

Blogging and sharing is such great fun!

Tori said...

Hey there just stopping by to let you know you won my so easy baby food kit giveaway - http://thriftytori.blogspot.com/
please email me at vrtheriot@gmail.com

Nicole Bingham said...

Just stopping by from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Please follow me back @ www.romanianprincess.com

Thanks, Nicole Mariana

FrugalMom said...

I almost signed up for this one, it sounds very interesting, but I did not have any more reading time available....I have to be careful not to over-schedule myself.

I would like to invite you to Book Lover’s Blog Hop at Story Time Under the Stars. At the Book Lovers’ Blog Hop you can link up a book review and connect with other book reviewers, it is a great way to get more exposure to your book reviews, and you can win a free week's ad space.

Free Gal said...

Can you tell me more about sponsored tweets?
http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com
Your newest follower!

Fuyume said...

im following u thru momsreview4u wednesday blog hop :]

http://fuyumeuk.blogspot.com

Smash Bravo Team said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lighttraveler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smash Bravo Team said...

Alright we are very sorry for all the confusion, we just saw your comment said new follower, and today was just kind of the last straw. We have had over 20 people say they were following and really only 8 followed us, so we have just been a bit on edge. We apoligize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and hopefully you can understand why we said anything to begin with. I'll check right now and if I am not following you I will be. Again Sorry! :)

http://sammymakessix.blogspot.com/

lighttraveler said...

I subscribed via email.
lighttraveler(at)live(dot)com

Also Following via Google Friend Connect.

Ruth said...

Hi, I'm just visiting from Welcome Wednesday. I'm impressed at your reading choice--not a book I would have thought to read in a million years, but now it sounds interesting! Great blog, I'm now following.

http://livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com/

KBraden said...

I am your newest follower from WW hope you will return the favor http://adventuresofthedomesticatedmama.blogspot.com/2010/09/wednesday-blog-hops_14.html

Hanna said...

following back:) thanks for stopping by my blog.

Cheryl said...

Showcase Sisters is following you from MomsReview4You Wednesday Blog Hop! http://showcasesisters.blogspot.com/

Thankful Heart said...

New follower from Moms Review 4 You blog hop!

http://caringforourblessings.blogspot.com/

Fun Saving Mom said...

Stopping in from Welcome Wednesday! I have to say there is no better way to live than practically frugal!

http://funsavingmom.blogspot.com

Mommy Kerin said...

Stopping by from Welcome Wednesday;
hope to see you stop back by!


Kerin :)
hergoodintentions.blogspot.com

Jenny @ Embellishing Life said...

Thanks for following :) Following you back!
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

Maryellen said...

Stopping by from Wed hop.

http://wifrugalliving.blogspot.com