Thursday, October 14, 2010

Allergen Reduction

November brings up memories and anxiety for me after the assault my allergies took on me last year, and fall is my favorite season, so I DO NOT want my fall memories to become tainted. Starting on Halloween, Logan got sick and passed it on to each of his brothers and his father. The night after Thanksgiving, despite being exhausted, I decided to do a marathon gift shopping trip and I literally shopped all night in the freezing cold. The next day I was very sick. After that, I had some chest congestion that I couldn't get rid of. After months of antibiotics, prednisone, and other medications, along with x-rays and other lung performance tests, my doctor finally determined that I had developed adult onset allergy induced asthma. After that, I declared war on the allergens in our house. I took down and packed away all of my knick knacks, and any non-essential items from horizontal surfaces in our house. Researched home made household cleaners to avoid chemicals, and dusted daily. It was too much, and I was still wheezing even with my maintenance medication, so we decided to make some changes in other areas.

When we purchased our home, it had reusable air filters which we thought were great, but it turned out that they weren't really filtering very well, even though we had started cleaning them monthly. When we went to our local hardware store to research other options, we ended up purchasing some Filtrete Air Filters based on the claims on the packaging. They made a massive improvement in our air quality, and I was even able to taper off of my maintenance medication for the asthma over the summer. My physician has said that I will probably need to go back on it for the winter months, depending on how I am feeling when we turn the furnace back on, but I have high hopes of avoiding it after the success I had over the summer. Who knew such a simple thing could make such a difference? Now I know that works for some people will not work for everyone, but when I saw this tour opportunity come up, I really wanted to participate to share with you how these filters helped me. We now change our filters at the start of each season, that way it is easy to remember, and our air stays nice and fresh! The packaging states that they:

  • Captures 94 percent of large airborne particles such as pollen, smoke, dust mite debris and pet dander from the air as it passes through the filter
  • Captures up to 40 times more microscopic particles than ordinary fiberglass filters
  • Helps maintain airflow in heating and cooling systems, which may help prevent stress on the system and reduce the amount of energy needed to warm your home this Fall and Winter
While we don't smoke, and only have one short hair cat, we do tend to have excessive dust and pollen here in OK. When the wind comes sweeping down the plain, it brings dirty air with it, haha. I'd encourage you to stop by the Filtrete website where you can find information about the Clear Advantages program and sign up receive coupons, tips and seasonal e-newsletters. They have also sent me a download-able Rebate good for $3!


(Click through to download and print this rebate to save on Filtrete Air Filters!)


 “I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Filtrete and received a gift certificate to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

1 comment:

A Daddy Blog said...

Thanks for this. Allergies down here in Texas have been just awful of late. I could replace Rudolph pulling Santa's sleigh my nose is so read. Will def give these a try. BTW, I'm following you on Twitter and GFC per your post on Mom Bloggers. Have a great weekend.