Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Book Review: Heaven is for Real

Last month after I reviewed a DVD for Booksneeze, I chose a book to review for this month. The book I selected is Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back I was so excited to read this book based on the book description alone! This book is a true story. It is the story of a four year old boy, Colton, who went in and out of consciousness during an emergency surgery, and WENT TO HEAVEN. He was able to see his family and the doctor's in the operating room at the same time. He could see what was happening to his physical body. When he came out of surgery, he was full of stories to share with his family. Stories about meeting his miscarried sister (that he had no knowledge of), and his great grandfather who passes several decades before Colton was born. He told his family about how Jesus really does love little children, and details about the second coming.

The message that I got from this book is that people can in fact visit Heaven and live to tell the rest of us about it. Children do not always tell fictitious stories, as adults we need to listen more and talk less. This is an example of how we can learn from our children. Jesus loves all of us, children and adults alike, and we should live our lives ready for Him to come and get us at any moment. This book did make me think about many things. With m,y own child needing a couple of surgeries in the upcoming months, it gives me peace of mind to know that while our children may be out of the safety of our hands during surgery, we can pray and know that God is in fact watching over them, and will take better care of them than we ever could. As a parent, it is sometimes hard to keep that forefront in our hearts and minds, but it is true!

I was excited because this book reminded me of another book I read by Don Piper. Additionally, one of the things this book made me think about is how it reminds me of Aaron. Most of you know that Aaron is a very special child. His special needs aside. For years, he has told us details about being in my womb, and specific details about his birth, visitors at the hospital, and other very specific details about when he was a baby. Details that can only be verified in pictures that he has not seen. Some of which were on undeveloped film that we had developed and discovered he was correct. To say the least it really freaks people out when he starts talking about these things. I say that because I can completely understand how brave Colton's father was to get his story out to the public and published in a book. It is definitely something I want to help spread the word about!

I received a complementary copy of this book through the Booksneeze program, but it in no way influenced my review or opinions expressed. If you would like to read Colton's story, you can purchase a copy of Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back from Amazon through that link! I highly recommend this book to everyone!

5 comments:

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I've read Don Piper's book also and it had a huge impact on me. I'm going to have to go get this one also!!

Jessie said...

hello,

I am your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Jessie

http://momvantage.blogpsot.com
http://lifeonhaberway.blogspot.com

Karen @ Barefoot in Portland said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I am following back!!!

Karen @ http://barefootinportland.blogspot.com

momondealz said...

Following back from Momondealz! Thanks for participating in Traveling Through Thursday!

Wendy said...

I just loved this book, even though some of the details don't entirely link up with scripture.

Wendy
Around My Family Table