Thursday, October 28, 2010

Great Uses for Vaseline

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is a very versatile product that we have used in our home in many different ways over the years. You would be surprised how many times we have a problem and search the internet for solutions, and Vaseline turns up to be a key ingredient. In celebration of Vaseline's 140th Anniversary, I thought I would join with TwitterMoms to share with you 10 of the ways that we use Vaseline in our home. I would be thrilled if you posted additional ways that your family uses Vaseline in the comments section, you never know when we might need them!


  1. When the boys were little, we used Vaseline on their little bottoms because diaper rash was a real issue, and one of them seemed to have an allergy to other commercial diaper rash products. One of them still has some tummy issues from time to time, and I still keep some handy in their bathroom for those times.
  2. During cold and flu season, they also get raw little noses, so I use a cotton swab to dab a bit on the sensitive areas to help keep them dry and clean. One of Aaron's little tics is to constantly lick his lips which makes his entire mouth area red, so I use it around there as well.
  3. I use it on my feet at night. Since I tend to go barefoot in the summer, and were flip flops and sandals everywhere, I found that my feet were not looking great anymore. I had been using Vapor Rub on them in the winter to stop all night coughing, at that was making them softer, but didn't need the Mentholatum when I wasn't sick. One day it dawned on me to try Vaseline. I did, and it made them noticeably softer. Since the birth of Logan, I am allergic to so many things, so I have to be careful with certain commercial products, but Vaseline hasn't caused me any problems. (It also works on my elbows. Use tops of old socks to cover them when you sleep.) Put the Vaseline on, then socks before sleeping.
  4. Along those same lines, I was searching around for homemade recipes for bath products since I couldn't use my other commercial products. I found that mixing Vaseline and Sea Salt together in a jar would make a bath scrub. I tried it and loved it, and had no allergic reaction!
  5. I also remember hearing once that beauty contestants put it on their teeth to help them keep smiling. I was at a competition in high school where we had to smile for an extended time period and we tried it and it did work. That wasn't my favorite thing to do, but you have to remember that a little goes a long way!
  6. Since I have used Vaseline on my feet and elbows on a regular basis, another bonus affect that I found was softer cuticles. If I rub any remaining Vaseline into the cuticles on either my fingers or toes, and wait a bit before washing up, it helps them to stay soft and healthy!
  7. I don't remember this event happening, and apparently it happened more than once when I was a child, but if gum gets stuck in hair, you can apply Vaseline and it comes right out. This actually came up last year when Logan stuck Peanut Butter in my hair, and it didn't come out in the shower. I didn't want to cut a huge section of my hair out, so I had to scour the internet for help. I read that tip and it worked. Later I mentioned it to a lifelong friend and she laughed and told me they used to have to do that to my hair all the time when I was a kid. I guess somethings are better forgotten;)
  8. Also on that note, Aaron's little eyes are super sensitive, even to No Tear Shampoo. I also found that dabbing a tiny line of Vaseline across his forehead before he showers keeps the water and shampoo from running into his eyes. It stops it and makes it run around the edges and down his cheeks by his ears. When you have a child with these sensitivities, you spend a lot of time searching the internet for solutions to problems!
  9. We also use Vaseline in the boys bathroom on the shower curtain rod to keep the rings sliding smoothly. With three little boys, they were constantly pulling and tugging on the curtain and it kept falling. We got the rod installed more securely, but then they would rip the curtain trying to open and close it. My dear friend (Internet searches) once again came to the rescue. I found this tip, and it solved the problem. I have to reapply just a bit on the top of the rod monthly, but it slides open and closed with ease now!
  10. My husband uses Vaseline when he does maintenance on our cars. He dabs some around the battery connector things to protect them from erosion. He checks the amount when he checks the oil to make sure there is still clean Vaseline there.
I hope some of these tips help you in the everyday parenting of your children, and raising the family. Some of them I hope you never have to use (gum in the hair, haha!) but others I hope you are able to incorporate into your everyday routine. Substituting an affordable and versatile product such as Vaseline for commercial products may prove to be a healthier and more cost effective treatment for your family;)

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Vaseline blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” All opinions expressed are mine.

About Vaseline:
Vaseline products are manufactured by Unilever [NYSE: UL, UN], one of the world’s largest consumer products companies. With a 140-year heritage as America’s most trusted healthy skin expert and more than 30 years as a leading hand and body lotion, the Vaseline brand delivers products that meet the specific needs of consumers, no matter their life stage or lifestyle. The Vaseline Aloe Fresh line includes Vaseline Aloe Fresh Hydrating Lotion, Vaseline Aloe Fresh Protecting Lotion with SPF, and Vaseline Aloe Fresh Moisturizing Gel. All products in the line are designed to be light and leave skin feeling hydrated and refreshed. In addition to the Vaseline Lotions, the Vaseline family of products also features a complete line of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and lip balm products. All Vaseline products can be purchased at drug stores nationwide. For more information, visit www.vaseline.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fioricet englandfioricet ingrdients
Dalmatian nation-states, gardens and intangible restrictions can be improved in sintra and mafra.