Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recipe: Brown Sugar Ham Soaked in Coke!

Most of you know by now that I am the mother of three young boys. What you may not know is how MUCH these little boys can eat! You can't tell by looking at them how much they love to eat, because they are all so very small for their respective ages, but I can assure you that they eat more than most adults! When Aaron went to see the Nutritionist earlier this year, she was astounded at his calorie count. I anticipate their appetites will increase as they get older, and that my normal grocery trips may be replaced by warehouse club trips in the not so distant future. It's important to make sure that they are eating a balanced diet. With Aaron on a high calorie count diet, it's difficult at times to get all those calories in, and still make sure the necessary nutrients are included. So, I plan our meals making sure the nutrients are there, then I add in all the calories I can to the kids food.

Because my boys love to eat SO MUCH, it is vital that I come up with affordable recipes now that feed us all (with leftovers) so that in a few years, I have an established cooking routine of affordable recipes. Today, I am going to share with you one of these recipes, that is just 4 ingredients and super simple to prepare, and these boys devour this ham!

Recipe: Brown Sugar Ham Soaked in Coke

1 Ham (size of your choice)
Brown Sugar
1 can of Coca~Cola
1 can of pineapple slices

Just place the ham in your baking dish face down, and use toothpicks to secure the pineapple slices to the ham. Next, I pour about 1/2 cup of brown sugar (depending on the ham size) over the ham, then pour the can of coke over the top. I cover it all with some aluminum foil, then bake in the oven according to the directions for the ham you have purchased.

I serve this with a salad, potatoes, a green veggie, and rolls. It is great for leftovers, though as these kids get older, the amount of leftovers is getting smaller and smaller (haha!).

I also feel strongly that establishing a dinner routine with kids at an early age is important. When they are young, they enjoy their meal times with mom and dad where they can tell us about their day. As kids get older and develop stronger friendships outside of the home, they tend to have more in depth relationships with non-family members. It is important to develop and cement familial bonds with them from early on. While some kids won't be excited about this dinner ritual during their teen years, once they become adults with families of their own, they will recall this tradition and treasure it. Likely, they will continue it within their own family.

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here."

No comments: