Friday, May 20, 2011

Family Road Trips


I can't wait until my boys are just a bit older and we are able to take them on some road trips to see some National Monuments and Historical sites that are quite a distance from where we live. At the top of my list is the Grand Canyon, followed closely by Mount Rushmore. All of my kids just love watching movies and documentaries about these and other locations, and I think they'd adore seeing them in person.

For trips closer to home, we have visited Branson, family in Tennessee, and hope to travel to Texas later this summer. My husband's company is located near Austin, TX, and occasionally he has to travel there for training or meetings, so we are hoping to combine one of these trips with a mini-vacation so that we could visit this area, Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas while we are down there.

Road trips are excellent learning opportunities for those of us who homeschool some or all of our children, yet I think that my other two that attend public school could benefit from seeing some of these locations in person as well. I think that actually seeing places such as the Alamo, makes learning about them later in History easier and more exciting learning experiences.

Twizzlers shared some road trip tips to make traveling with kids easier and less painful, so I thought I'd share them with you!
According to family travel expert Emily Kaufman, “The Travel Mom,” families are starting to think past the backyard “staycation” and are rediscovering the freedom of the open road. Kaufman shares the following tips for a fun and safe family road trip:

  • Create a boredom bag. Convert a hanging travel cosmetic case into a case full of fun and hang it from the seat back in front of the kids’ seats. Consider creating fun works of art with Twizzlers Pull ‘n’ Peel Candy before snacking on them!
  • Take your trip “online.” From GPS systems to phone applications, trips are no longer a navigation nightmare.
  • Think through the snacks you pack. Avoid packing snacks that are easy to spill like juice boxes or snacks that melt. Try plastic bottles with sports tops and bring along Twizzlers Candy or Twizzlers Nibs Candy – they are easy to share and don’t melt, making them the perfect car ride treat.
I wrote this post as an contest entry for a Twizzlers Landmark Summer promotion prize pack as a member of the Mom Bloggers Club. I hope you'll take a moment to visit www.Twizzlers.com to see all the great things they have to offer!

No comments: