Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Aaron loves being a Jedi!

Many of you know that my son Aaron has Aspergers. One of the things that he has high anxiety about is being out around people. He copes with that by dressing up in various costumes everyday. Sometimes we have to agree to "dress up" in fancy clothes if we are going to a more formal situation, but other times, we allow him to dress in what he wants. Especially on days when he has doctor or therapy visits, because those can be rough on him. The ladies at his therapy location look forward to guessing what he is each and every week!

His favorite movie of all time, is Star Wars. We have several of the various Star Wars costumes, complete with accessories, and he really enjoys pretending to be these characters. A few weeks ago, I was fortunate to be contacted by Costume Supercenter to review one of their products. Aaron was thrilled. Unbeknownst to me, he was apparently missing a Jedi Costume from his collection, and while I thought perhaps a costume from a different movie or show might be more fun, he insisted that he wanted the Jedi Robe Child costume. He then proceeded to explain to me why this costume is different from all the other Star Wars costumes that we have in his closet. He is very particular about having all the details just so when he puts them on.

Once he knew that this costume was on its way, he waited every single afternoon at the front window watching for the UPS man to deliver his package. The moment it arrived he opened it and put it on. He wouldn't let me get his picture in it, but he has worn it every single day since it got here just over a week or so ago. He LOVES IT. I have to say it is very well made, and I have ordered items from here before, and they hold up incredibly well. All three of my boys enjoy dressing up in costumes, and do so almost daily. The costumes we have purchased from here in the past are still all in one piece with no rips or tears! If you know Logan, you know how amazing that is! I also want to point out that the Jedi Robe Child costume they sent me is very affordable, currently under $20!

At our home, costumes are year-round items that are regularly used and appreciated. I tend to purchase more around Halloween because they go on sale, and there is a large selection available. I encourage you to visit Costume Supercenter when you are shopping for your costume needs. The products I have purchased previously, and the one I received for this review were all high quality and at affordable prices. You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter!

****I was provided a complimentary costume to facilitate my review of the product, but all opinions expressed are solely mine and have not been influenced in any manner. A positive opinion was not requested or expected, but was given because it is deserved. No other compensation was exchanged.****

1 comment:

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

Awwww, I love this story! Seriously, I didn't know that you had a son and I didn't know that he had Asperger's. I usually just enter giveaways and I'm out, but I am so glad I read this post. I mean, I don't really need any costumes, but I love knowing that Aaron loves being a Jedi...and that dressing up is a way for him to feel safe in his environment. What clever and encouraging parenting! You are awesome! Thanks for this post!