Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: Global the Game

My kids are at an age where they LOVE playing games. I try to set aside one scheduled night each week, usually Saturday, when we can play a game together. Of course we often play more than that, especially during the summer months, but it's nice to have that scheduled time as well.

Recently I was offered to test and review Global the Game.  It is expected to hit stores in the fall and be priced around $40, but is available on the website now! The objective is:

We developed Global® in an attempt to transform the way people lead their lives by
bringing a different focus to the environmental debate by discussing how finance is tied
to solving the Earth’s delicate situation. Through meaningful and informed debate, the
game also encourages all individuals’ opinions, allowing players to focus collectively on
solutions with an urgent sense of optimism. Some of the issues discussed in Global® are
controversial (such as nuclear energy, use of genetically modified foods and processing
tar sand for oil), but Global® does not take a position on any issues. These hot topics are
ideal for discussion in a classroom setting, where the instructor may act as moderator,
allowing students to focus collectively on solutions. Global’s® interplay of finance and
environmentalism combine to make an intriguing game that will appeal to future MBAs
as well as environmentalists in the worldwide marketplace.

It is designed for 3 to 5 players, and takes around 45 minutes to 2 hours to play. The game does not take a stance on environmental issues, that is left up to each player.

I have to say that this game is so much fun! While it targeted for ages older than that of my children, we were still able to put them on teams with adults and let them help us make our team choices, and they loved it. I would say it is a perfect game for teens and adults. I know that so many teens and young adults are focused on debating how they would handle certain environmental situations, and this gives them an outlet to see how one another's theories play out against each other.

I am also pleased to announce that Global has won the 2011 Game of the Year Award from Creative Child Magazine!


Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of Global to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed are 100% my own, and were not influenced in any way. No monetary compensation was exchanged.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Very nice review. I can see why this game won awards!

Happy Stumble Through Thursday :)

Laura-A Goddess of Frugality said...

Thanks for the stumble! Stumbled yours as well!

GSS said...

New Follower from the stubbler, thank you!

April said...

THanks for stopping by, stumbled!

Twingle Mommy said...

Thanks for stopping by, stumbled you!

aquariann said...

Interesting game! I stumbled. :D

Julia said...

The game does sound interesting - it doesn't sound like anything I've ever played before, but it makes you think.

Thanks for stumbling my post - I've returned the stumble

http://confessionsofafrugalmind.blogspot.com/