Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Review: That Day in September

A few weeks ago, I was asked by Artie Van Why if I would consider reading and reviewing his book That Day in September, which chronicles firsthand his personal experiences on 9/11 working downtown in the World Trade Center Plaza.

I recall very vividly this day and exactly what happened in my own life far away from NYC, and as a current resident of OKC, where the Federal Building was bombed by a terrorist, I felt an immediate connection to this story. This year is the 10th Anniversary of this tragedy, and I think this is the perfect time for us all to take a look back at not only the events, but the effect that they had on those who were directly impacted by them.

This book moved me deeply and entranced me from the beginning. I stayed up into the wee hours, compelled to finish the entire story in a night. While many of us have faced trials and adversity in our own lives, most of us have faced nothing as daunting as experiencing the trauma of 9/11 firsthand. Mr Van Why takes the reader to the scene and they feel part of the events as they read how normal everyday people performed heroic acts for one another, and readers will also feel distraught learning of those who were unable to be helped or saved in time. I cannot fathom feeling as if my only chance at survival was to jump out of a high-rise tower that was burning, or rushing down stairwells and streets with others who are also confused as to what was going on, and wondering where would be a safe place to retreat to. Then, later, being asked to return to the scene during and post clean up, and to return to work and life as normal. This is truly a touching memoir.

Please take a moment to consider becoming a fan of this book on Facebook and GoodReads, a commercial created for YouTube, and take a look at the Amazon page as well.

***Disclosure: I was sent a complimentary copy of That Day in September, courtesy of Artie Van Why. I feel strongly that certain books, including this one, deserve and need to be shared with as many people as possible, and in an honest and sincere way. No compensation was exchanged, and all opinions expressed were not influenced by any outside source, and are 100% mine.***

2 comments:

Paula Robinson said...

Stories like this always get me. We live such sheltered lives in the US. These things happen every day in some places, and the tragedy of it never escapes me.

Looking forward to reading this!
XOXO
Paula

Marci said...

Oh wow, I think I need to read this one. Thank you for sharing your review with us.