Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Solar Solution for Internet Addicts Like Me

While I may live in Oklahoma, the landlocked center of the US, I am fascinated with all things weather related, and have been watching non-stop coverage of Hurricane Irene on the weather channel. I can't help it, I love to see the power of nature, even though it often wreaks havoc when it rages. Not that we don't get our fair share of nature's fury here in OK either. While we are in an extreme drought now, and we did have some horrific tornadoes this year, it wasn't as many as normal. We also tend to have blizzards throughout the winter that often cause loss of power for an extended period of time.

Because we face the fury of nature on a regular basis, I find that it helps calm my nerves to know that I have prepared for them in advance. I keep a supply of bottled water, canned goods, a can opener, batteries, and other necessities on hand and in our "safe place" in our home, and I replenish the supplies on a regular basis to make sure everything is fresh. One thing that I had not thought of until this storm though, was considering a portable solar battery charger. I think it makes sense to have these, especially because smart phones don't run off of easily replaceable batteries, and in the event of an extended power outage, you might need to have the ability to communicate with others via phone, text, or internet, and if you battery dies, you could be out of luck.

If you are like me, and addicted to the internet, you might feel the constant need to check your email, facebook, twitter, weather, news sites, play games, and text with your friends and family. While that's great for a while, it will drive you batty if the battery dies and you can't recharge it! I already have to charge mine twice a day because I run the battery down, and that's when we have power available! I think one of these will be on my list of items to check into, because while I do enjoy the fun things I can do on the internet, I have also seen firsthand the seriousness of what nature can do, and I would feel much better knowing I had a portable solar battery charger on hand to charge the batteries on our phones in the event of an extended power outage!

I am participating in a blog campaign from Bucks2Blog for a portable solar
panel company and was compensated. However, the views and opinions are my
own.

No comments: