Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Squirmy Baby

Today is Logan's birthday! When he was younger, and I changed his diapers on changing tables, he was THE squirmiest baby I had ever been around! This child has squirmed since the day he was born, and still hasn't stopped. From the time he started walking, he has loved to climb things, and he doesn't stop moving, even in his sleep! We have to keep a mat on the floor next to his toddler bed, because he squirms and falls over the rails! It's only 12 inches high, so he isn't going to get hurt, but he can't be still!

Even from the time he was just months old, and not yet rolling over, I was terrified to change him in public restrooms on the changing tables, because the straps aren't the most secure things in the world, and I was terrified he'd roll off. With the only alternative the nasty floor, I knew I had to get creative. I mastered a plan of packing all the items I needed in an easily accessible pouch in the diaper bag, so I could hold him with one hand, and swiftly prepare the changing area with the other hand. By his 1st birthday, I could change even his messiest diaper in 2 minutes flat with ONE HAND. I felt like supermom, and nicknamed him my Lovebug, LOL:)

My suggestions to those of you who have squirmy babies as well, is to create your own "Super Speed Diaper Changing Kit". We are all different, and have different preferences, but what worked for me was to tuck a small refillable wipe kit that was easy open into my portable changing pad, tucked inside a diaper, with a plastic grocery bad tucked in as well. I could whip the pad open, put the clean diaper under the baby, open the dirty one, wipe the bottom, stuff the dirty diaper into the trash bag, close the new diaper, and toss the bag into the trash container and be on our way. Once the baby was back strapped into the stroller, I opened the diaper bag and created a new kit for the next change so I was ready to go!

New Moms today are in luck! Huggies is introducing a new line of Little Movers Slip On Diapers that  look so easy to pop on and off of even the squirmiest child. I love that companies such as Huggies take the time to listen to mom's concerns about the issues they have, then take them back to their creative teams to find a solution.


About Huggies
The Huggies® community brings parents together so that you and your babies fully enjoy every day, whatever the day presents. Enjoy the ride with Huggies®.

More info on Huggies: http://www.huggies.com

Like Huggies on Facebook

Follow @huggies on Twitter


“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Huggies blogging program, for a gift card worth $35. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

2 comments:

Paula Robinson said...

I have done the same thing with a small kit that I use when changing my boys. I also give them a book or toy or something to hold to help keep them still!

xoxo
Paula
http://realhousewifeofsingapore.blogspot.com

UntrainedHairMom said...

I love the "Super Speed Diaper Changing Kit" idea...my son has decided to start rolling over and trying to crawl away when it is time to change his diaper, lol