Monday, September 12, 2011

Book Review: The Attitude Girl

Book Review: The Attitude Girl by Mila Bernadkin

I am so excited to share this book with you. I LOVED this book. The main character is a 17 year old girls, and everyone is constantly telling her she has an "attitude". She perceives that in a negative manner, and most of the time, it is said in a negative manner.

I don't think that it's necessarily negative though. Perhaps it's because I see a lot of myself in Vicky, but having an attitude isn't always a bad thing. Yes, she is a teenage girl, and it's normal for teenage girls to sometimes have a bad attitude. It comes with the territory. However, she is a pretty perceptive young lady, and sometimes she is just asking or stating the hard truths about certain situations.

For example, pretty early on in the book, there is someone being picked on in the school cafeteria by the "popular" crowd. She sticks up for this kid, and there is almost a fight. I applaud her for making the hard choice to stand up for the kid. Certainly it could have been handled differently, with less fireworks, but the important thing I took away from it was that she wasn't afraid to stand up for someone who needed it. There are situations we could all probably handle better.

While this is technically a young adult book, and perfect for any teen in this age group in my opinion, I also think it's a fantastic read for adults, especially parents of teens. I think that reading this book and being able to get some perspective on teen attitude issues might help parents of teens be a bit more patient with their own teens. Or at least allow them to see where their own teens are coming from, and maybe relate to them a little easier.

I know of 4 friends who could certainly benefit from this book. I'd loan them my own copy, but Mila Bernadkin graciously autographed the copy she sent me, and I don't want it to get "too" worn. So, I think I will be putting this on the Christmas Gift list! The paperback copy of The Attitude Girl is currently available at Amazon for just $13.22, which is quite an affordable price. I hope you'll consider checking it out! I am also giving away a copy as part of Blogorama Bonanza which runs through Sept 22!

You can find more information on this book at the Attitude Girl website, Order an Autographed copy!, Book Trailer, Facebook, Twitter, and on LinkedIn.

***Disclosure: I was sent a complimentary copy of The Attitude Girl to facilitate my honest review. I was not asked, nor required to provide a positive review, and no monetary compensation was exchanged.***

No comments: