Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How to use StumbleUpon

Thanks to Kelly's Lucky You who is in a blog group with me, I came across a post today at Viper Chill that has a FANTASTIC tutorial on StumbleUpon and how to use it. It's important to note that proper use of the site is VERY important, and since I've had several emails inquiring about how to use the site, I thought this would be helpful for many of you as well. The most helpful thing you can do to get started, in my opinion, is to download the toolbar extension for your browser. It makes stumbling very easy. It provides the thumbs up (or down) right on your browser so each time you come across a post you like on any blog, you can give it a thumbs up and help that blogger gain more traffic. If you discover a post, a review and proper categorization are also very helpful.

One lesson I have just learned is that you can only follow 500 people. In the beginning, I tried to follow back everyone who followed me, or whose posts I really enjoyed.  Now that I have to unfollow some in order to follow new friends, I had to make some tough choices and set criteria as to who I would follow. It's nothing personal against those I can't follow, I am just trying to make the best match so that I carry stumbling power for those whose posts I discover or thumbs up. I have removed inactive followers (over 1 year with no activity), those with less than 100 "likes", those who stumble giveaways and other time sensitive posts that aren't good stumble material, and those whose niche areas aren't similar to mine. I want to share and receive posts that are mutually beneficial.

4 comments:

The Purple Lady said...

thanks so much for this one! the article is very helpful, although I still don't quite understand. I am going to refer back to it often so maybe I won't need to beg for help again (in this area). You're the best!

The Purple Lady said...

thanks so much for this one! the article is very helpful, although I still don't quite understand. I am going to refer back to it often so maybe I won't need to beg for help again (in this area). You're the best!

Themed-Party-Ideas.com said...

Thank you for the StumbleUpon post and especially your advice about how to get the best use of it...I never thought about the 500 follow limit!

Pamela Zimmer said...

Thanks for sharing the article. I've been wanting to try stumbleupon but just didn't know how to get started. This is the little push I need to try it out!
www.storiesofamom.com
-Pamela Zimmer