Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Trying to stay Cold and Flu Free

Everyone in our family has gotten the flu every single year. However, we've also taken the flu shots, and preventative steps to make sure that it isn't as bad as it could be. I am going to share with you the steps we take to stay as healthy as possible, and minimize the severity of any cold or flu we happen to catch.

  • Wash your hands frequently, using soap and warm water, and for an adequate amount of time. With the kids, we have them sing a song out-loud and when they are finished, they know they are done.
  • Keep anti-bacterial lotion in your purse, and a small bottle in the kids backpacks. If they sneeze or touch a door handle, etc, they can quickly dab some on and kill any germs.
  • Keep tissues in your purse, and in the kids backpacks. I put them in ziplock bags to keep them sanitary. You'll always have something handy if you sneeze or need to blow your nose.
  • Get the FLU shot. While it isn't always for the strain that becomes predominate, it can help to lessen the severity of other strains.
  • Keep your kids home from school if they have a fever or may be contagious. I ALWAYS do this because it's what I hope other parents do. I don't want to spread illness and I don't want others spreading it to my kids.
  • In the supermarket, use they anti-bacterial wipes they have at the door to wipe off the handle of the cart. If your store doesn't have these, take some with you in a ziplock bag. You never know who has touched it before, or what liquid could have gotten on there (from chicken juice to wet diapers, ewwww). 
  • When going out to dinner, wash your hands before you eat any peanuts, rolls, appetizers, etc. Remember: You probably touched the door handle, a menu, or seat that someone else touched before you. 
  • Drink plenty of water. Clear fluids are an illnesses worst nightmare. Keeping yourself and your kids hydrated will help you fight off illness.
  • Get plenty of sleep. I can tell by how hard or easy my kids are to rouse in the morning if they've had enough sleep. If they are hard to get up, they go to bed at least 30 minutes earlier that evening. 
  • Avoid over-scheduling your family for evening activities so getting to bed on time isn't an issue.
  • Eat right. Make sure everyone is getting at least the minimum amounts of fruits and veggies each day so that their bodies are able to naturally fight off any illnesses.
If you have any other tips you think I or anyone else might find helpful, PLEASE leave them in the comments. We are always looking for new ways to keep our family healthy and illness free! The irony that I am typing this while sick isn't lost on me, but I know that I've had a very stressful September. I did take all the necessary steps I could (stress and lack of sleep aside), and sometimes you just get sick anyway. BUT, if you are habitually taking the proper steps, your illness may be shorter lived and less severe than otherwise, and hopefully I can bounce back pretty fast :)

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Lysol blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

No comments: