Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cambodian Threads


I received this scarf from Cambodian Threads to review. I am so touched by the story that is behind this company, and I am thrilled to share the details with you.

This company offers a hand-made, fair trade silk scarf. They are created (without child labor!) in a small Cambodian village, and they use a portion of the proceeds from each scarf sold to furnish school supplies for TEN children. The scarf I received is valued at $26 on sale, and covers the cost of materials, labor, and school supplies for 10 kids (notebooks, maps, pens, pencils, paper, etc). That is shocking to me. Such a nominal amount to provide for so much! Most of the workers in this area (farmers, crafters, etc) survive on an income of $20-$40 per month.

It takes 6-8 days for them to finish each scarf. They purchase raw silk from local farmers, dye it naturally by hand, dry it, and spin it into thread using a spinning wheel. The finished silk thread is woven by a traditional wooden loom. They then hand twist the threads at the ends to prevent them from fraying.  If you purchase one, you should hand wash it in cold water with a gentle detergent, lie flat to air dry, and a low heat iron can smooth out any wrinkles.

I love the scarf that I received. I have several black skirts, pants, and colored blouses that will look very nice with this as an accessory. The material felt a little different from what I am used to, but previously I've only gotten scarves purchased at the store. I love knowing that it is handmade from scratch, and that it is supporting a very good cause. The education of children is so important. I love knowing how far $26 will go towards supporting a family, a business, and ten students.

You can get more information on Cambodian Threads from their website, Facebook, or Twitter pages.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. They are offering a discount code "holidays" to save 15% on any order!

1 comment: