Thursday, November 17, 2011

Got Junk?

I don't know about y'all, but I like to watch the show Hoarders on television. It inspires me to clean, it inspires me to purge, to be respectful of others and their unique fragile psychological states, and to never judge because you don't know what someone has been through, what they are going through, or what secret trials they might be enduring.

For me, I don't want to leave a legacy of clutter or junk. I know that I have tendencies towards collection of items, books particularly, and certain other items. I make a concerted effort to keep the items I collect organized and put away in a proper place. It's difficult though when I have so many coming in for review, etc, and reading is a passion that I want to pass on to my children. I try to keep classics, books that mean something to me, collections by favorite authors, or books that are age appropriate (or soon will be) for my boys and pass along the rest. The Kindle helps because I can keep hundreds of books on that one little device.

For other items, I try to clean out monthly when it's our big item trash collection week, and the city will haul it away for free. It keeps the large clutter under control in our home. For smaller items, I try to pass along what I can to those that I know can use it or need it, or just toss it. I don't want to contribute any more than necessary to landfill problems, so I do try to reduce, reuse, and recycle, as well as be purposeful as to what we bring in in the first place. However, if it's already here and has served its purpose, and we no longer need it or will use it, then it's time for things to move on.

If you are in need of a huge purge and need a service to help you remove junk or other items, there are services such as Houston junk removal that provide this type of service.

No comments: