Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Swan and Dolphin

I'm going to take y'all way back with this post. When I was in high school (the early 90s!), I was in my high school choir. We were very fortunate to be able to take a spring trip each year and perform at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL. This was one of my first trips without parents along, and I remember so vividly riding the tram from a parking area where the bus dropped us off, to whatever park we were visiting that day. It stands out specifically, because of the epcot resort hotels Swan and Dolphin. If you've ever visited there, I am sure you know what I am talking about. They looked so nice, and really stood out from the others with the statuary figures they exhibited.

I always thought that those would be where I would want to stay should I be able to return as an adult with my own family. Fast forward a few years, and I got married. Nick was in the Navy and we were stationed in FL, just a couple of hours from Orlando. We got discount tickets due to being military and state residents. In 1997, we flew my little brother down and took him to the Disney Parks for a graduation present. We had SO much fun, but didn't get an opportunity to stay at any of the resorts because we lived too close to justify the expense.

Now, many, many years later, I have children. Except we live in Oklahoma. Of course they would love to visit Disney, and I'd love to take them. Hopefully it will work out in the not too distant future that we can go there, and you can bet when I am booking reservations, I will be checking rates and availability at Swan and Dolphin to see if I can work it out for us to stay there :)

2 comments:

Jayne Townsley said...

May I recommend a "trip" to the online http://disboards.com for the best unofficial Disney information online. Depending on your budget, The Swan and Dolphin may not be good choices. Since they are not owned by Disney, they have less perks. (Same with the Downtown Disney hotels.) For instance, you cannot get the Disney Dining plan. That means if Disney is offering free dining during your stay, you will be ineligible.

I'm about narrowed down to Port Orleans Riverside for my stay.

Karen said...

Thanks for the link! I had no idea they weren't owned by Disney. I haven't been there since 1997, so my memory of how nice they looked may not even be accurate, I just remember loving them, LOL. The kids want to stay at the Animal resort place (I don't know the name), but our visit won't be for 2-3 years at least, so who knows what they'll be interested in by then, LOL:)