Friday, December 9, 2011

Keeping your home Holiday Clean

We have yet to put up our holiday decorations this year, but hopefully we'll get to it this weekend! This photo is from a previous Christmas. We've been super busy around here with work, school, the soccer season ending, and hosting a variety of house parties. With three little boys, that means it's a never ending cycle of cleaning. Aaron went to meet his new speech therapist at the school today, he is transitioning from a homeschooler to homebound student, and eventually back to full time at school. He decided at the beginning of the year that he wanted to go back to school, so we are supporting him and easing him into it. The speech therapist has kids the same age as mine, and she mentioned that Aaron told her what chores he does around the house, and she was shocked that they actually do those things. When I got home and saw this opportunity, I felt it was the perfect time to share some of my tips.

I have broken my house into 7 "zones". Each day, I do a "deep" cleaning of that days zone. Not spring cleaning deep, but just a general thorough cleaning of one zone per day. Then I can do a quick pickup around the rest of the house in about 10 minutes. No room gets too messy, and it breaking it into manageable tasks helps me manage my time. I am able to give Aaron his school assignments and then get to work. He's done about the time I am, and I can check his work, and then move on. I also try to do 1-2 loads of laundry and dishes each day so it doesn't get overwhelming. I taught my kids from early on that they have chores that they must do each day. They are responsible for bringing me their laundry to wash, then they get it out of the dryer, fold it, and put it away. They don't fight me on it, because I started them very early on doing these things.

I also try to spend a solid 3 hours once per week, and have finally gotten Nick on board with this, and we work together on one home project. We have a ton of stuff that we have moved around from house to house since we married over 15 years ago, and we need to purge! Once a month we have big trash pickup, and we always have a pile ready to go. We also have a monthly pickup from a local charity in our neighborhood. I try to put out as much as I can then too, in addition to sending kids clothes and toys with my parents when they visit, and pass along to my cousins.

Doing all of these tasks year long, means when the holidays arrive, I'm not overwhelmed when we have last minute guests, parties, or events. Just get the whole family involved so you just stress yourself out over the small details, realize everyone's home has some "dust bunnies", and enjoy yourself. The greatest thing about the holidays is spending time with those you love, so use your energy to enjoy it, not waste it stressing over a messy home.

Merry Christmas y'all!!!

"I am sharing my holiday home decor and cleaning tips for the chance to win prizes from The SITS Girls and Great Cleaners."

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Karen, I'm sure that by now you have your home all decorated for Christmas. It seems such a lot of work for such a short time, but it usually is appreciated by most. Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/