Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shameless Season One


If you haven't seen Shameless yet, it airs on Showtime. The series is returning again on Sunday Jan 8 at 9/8c. The star of the show is Frank Gallagher, played by William H Macy, and he is the father of six children. The mother is not in the picture, so a lot of the pressure to take care of the children falls to the oldest daughter Fiona.  In one episode in particular, one of the middle children, Debbie, is very depressed after the passing of their aunt. The kids are all at a birthday party at Debbie decides to secretly take one of the children home and disguise him as a little girl. Her siblings get home and discover this and are scared because now the police are involved, and they want to return this toddler to his parents without being noticed by anyone, to try and keep Debbie out of trouble herself.

While this show does have some dramatic issues, it has comedy as well. I like it because it is easy to relate to. Sure things are dramatized for television, but there is usually a foundation in many of the situations that hits all too close to home, and it something that most families can relate to. Sometimes we all feel like we are carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders, especially where our siblings are concerned, regardless of whose responsibility caring for them actually is.

I remember as a teenager that my own little brother used to get himself into some pretty crazy situations. Yes, our parents were at home each and every night, but like any parents, they can't watch their kids 24 hours a day. In most families, some responsibility always falls to the siblings to watch out for one another. It's the kind of deal where you can't imagine how your sibling managed to get themselves into certain situations, but you'd go to any length to protect them and help them. Regardless of how irritated they make you:) I was watching the above episode and heard Fiona ask little Debbie, "WHY would you steal a baby?" and I could just hear myself asking my brother, "WHY would you do (insert situation I won't reveal to the public, LOL)". It doesn't matter that it's been 20+ years since I went through this with my own brother, seeing this episode took me right back there in my mind.

“I have been hired by Warner Bros. WBWord division to promote Shameless Season One on DVD." Season One of Shameless is coming soon on DVD and Blu-ray.

No comments: